United Together through Mismatched Unity

by Michael Smith (Veshengro)

Unequal pairs of gloves, earrings, cuff links, etc.

The “Glove Love” project from “The Green Thing” is not as original an idea as they might like to claim an well before that many of us who are thus inclined have picked up odd gloves that have been orphaned and then joined them into unequal pairs with others equally single and orphaned that sort of matched.

This writer has done so for years and has done the same with cuff links (I do not wear earrings, you see).

I used to have links with a catering establishment for wedding and other functions and lost individual cuff links, amongst other things lost, used to come my way when no one had asked for them after some months and the owner was looking to throw those lost items out.

As I hate things going to waste, especially as some of the items were gold, even tough only low-grade 9ct gold, but gold nevertheless, and even if they were not gold or silver, I used to take pity on the poor little orphans, taking them home.

Personally I find it cute and quirky to wear two different kinds of cuff links, for instance, and it is often, as it is always with the recycled business cards, a conversation piece. The same is also true when using mismatched unity gloves.

As far as I am concerned it does not matter as to whether or not the gloves are a proper pair. I have taken them out of the waste stream where, as lost items in a park or in the road, they would have, invariably have ended up, and they keep my hands warm whether or not they are a “proper” matched pair.

There is way too much vanity about, I think, and taking such items and reusing them, even though they may not be a, as said, “proper” pair or set, is way better than having to buy new and letting the poor orphaned gloves, or cuff links, or earrings, or whatever, go to the dump.

An exception, I guess, I might make as to shoes and boots, and I am not too keen to be wearing socks that belonged to someone else either. Wearing a mis-matched pair of shoes might not be very good for one's feet. And socks that once belonged to someone else? That's where I make an exception or two.

© 2010